Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pun Ambivalence

First, today's card, using a Hero Arts clear set.




This card is part of my self-imposed challenge to use up some of my scraps and already-cut card bases that have multiplied beyond reason. The layout is the same as this card, which goes to show you can get pretty different looks just by changing up the color. The red with cool caribbean on the Sweet Moments card is so punchy and high energy, while the kraft with cool caribbean is a bit more relaxing, calmer, but still fun. I love it when a Bic Mark-It marker matches SU cardstock so well.

Now, for chatter. Puns, like cliches, have always bothered me. You see, I was an English major and eventually a college English teacher, so I'm conditioned to groan, not laugh, at puns. Shakespeare and Chaucer are allowed to use the occasional pun, but those two can get away with anything. If they both anachronistically stood on stage on their heads, naked and whistling Dixie, I'd enthusiastically applaud their genius.

Pause for a moment and let that image sink in. You're welcome.

But mere humans like myself should not use puns. It's not dignified. (Please note the heavy irony in my last sentence; I'm dignified only in my dreams.)

My complaints about StampinUp from the beginning have been the gratuitous use of puns and the totally unnecessary exclamation point in their company name. Somehow, I ended up with Very Punny. (Was it a "Sale"-Abration set? Good heavens, SU must stop doing this.) When I "mounted" the rubber (please groan), I put the punny sentiments on the sides of the blocks so it would be easier to ignore them. The pun that belonged with the fish, however, offended me so much with its stupidity that I threw it in the trash.

My apologies to anyone who likes that stamp.

Through constant exposure to stamp puns and the loss of what little dignity I had after birthing two boys and having to say things like "Hands out of pants" daily, however, I'm changing my mind. I'm using puns occasionally now and don't even feel like I have to wash my hands afterward. Life's more fun this way, and I'm totally okay with that.

So today's card is for you, my blog readers. I like you a latte!

(No extra charge for the exclamation point.)

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh as I head off to bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny! OOps, should I not have put an exclamation point there? I do love the colors you've combined here--their intensity with the white makes for a fun, crisp card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the card, i even enjoy the occasional pun but your post made me giggle, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, you make me laugh! I like the occasional pun, but it needs to be pretty clever for me to appreciate it. Nevertheless this card is adorable; I absolutely love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Ann - I feel the same way! And you made me laugh. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often thought that SU was a bit strange for having an exclamation point in their name, who does that?
    Love your card, pun and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, you drew me out of lurkville. i do love this card. puns, not so much. i have that set, too, but i'm pretty sure i've never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the exclamation point is just wrong. I tend to want to emphasize it accordingly, but only in my head. In fact, I dislike the name entirely. I do like many of their stamps, though. Your card is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not major in English, so is it ok if I admit that I like puns?Having said that, I think that most of the stamping ones are so OLD and not very clever. I'm killing myself laughing picturing you 'mounting' your stamps! You can tell where my mind resides! Thanks for a good laugh. And a gorgeous card! (ok, just noticed that my word verification is CROTC - definitely a theme going on here!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this card a lot! Pun and all! Actually I like puns! And exclamation marks!! HAHA (sorry, Susan :()

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the layout (loved it on the other card, too), love the colors, love the ribbon. I, as a non-English major, don't care for puns. Some of them are better than others, though. This one is much better than best fishes or like no udder, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am laughing so hard that I have tears streaming down my cheeks. I have to catch my breath, just to be able to wipe my tears and finish reading your blog posts that I have missed in the last few days. Thanks for the great belly laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card Susan! I feel like I should hang my head in shame and slink away from your blog to hide in a corner... I have to confess that I am a bit of a fan of puns. I like sweet little cards with cute or 'punny' messages, but they do have to be witty rather than just plain dumb and pointless. Thanks for sharing a sweet card and for making me smile! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your card, Susan. The pun is very cute, and I love your colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter has always groaned at all the Stampin' Up pun stamps also. The only one which even vaguely interested me was the Complimentary Peanuts stamp with the three peanuts paying compliments. For some strange reason that one cracked me up??
    Very nice colour scheme, I especially like the "coffee" card base.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Puns are a favorite around our house, we view them as a sign of intelligence. (!)

    I heard this on the radio about 50 years ago, and this seems like a good time to share it:

    If I were ever pun-ish-ed
    for every little pun I said,
    I’d have to find a puny shed
    in which to hide my punnish head.

    Thank you for your great cards, wonderful writing, and sharing spirit. I always look forward to your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Adore this color combo!! And I have to tell you that EVERY TIME I type Stampin' Up! I think of you! You had mentioned your frustration over the exclamation point a long time ago and ever since you just always pop into my mind as I type it! Hehehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alice, your punny poem is WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks so much for shaing it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use exclamation points a latte! Love the colors you chose for your card

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!