Thursday, December 8, 2011

Inpsired by Paula Whittaker: Evolution of a Layout

After my previous failed attempt at CASification, I decided to try again, and this time, the results aren't hideous, although the original card is clean and simple enough that there's not much to CASify. Here's the fab inspiration card made by Paula Whittaker and published in the winter issue of Take Ten magazine:




The Stampington & Co. stamps are not exactly my style, but the layout absolutely intrigued me. I decided to see what sort of look I could get with Hero Arts stamps and white card stock. Not bad.

5" x 5"


The white card's photo actually looks better than the real-life card...how weird is that? Since my first attempt actually looks a little washed out and colorless, I wondered if putting the same pieces on colored card stock would look better. It does.

5" x 5"


Today's cards demonstrate a truth of card design that took me far too many years to figure out. If at first you don't succeed, one of two things is happening:

1. You're headed down a fruitless path and would do well to abandon hope and start over again.

2. You need to do some problem-solving and have confidence that you will get there in the end.

In my early years of stamping, I thought quitting was evidence of failure. Now, I recognize that, at times, quitting is just common sense and a natural part of learning. It's far better to try something new and then realize it's not working for you than not to try anything new at all.

But knowing when to quit takes experience. Earlier in the week, when I made the card that no one will see, I finished it and realized that, indeed, I was headed down a fruitless path. The next night, I let Paula's card inspire me, and I got there in the end.

Awesome!

8 comments:

  1. Amazing, Susan. I'd never have looked at that layout and found inspiration. Just not my style. But then you come along and MAKE it my style! I love what you've come up with, both in white and colored. It's elegant, fresh, clean, and so different! I really love these. And thanks, too, for sharing your insight into making cards that don't initially turn out. It's good to know that even in cardmaking, sometimes quitting is not failing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been asked that question many times in the classes I teach about how many card smaples I throw away. It did take a while for me to figure out if it's not working toss it and start over.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think both of them are great, and you have used the inspiration well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula's style is unique to her, I admire her talent although not especially keen on the stamps she uses so you did very Susan to come up with something essentially you from Paula's card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me so curious as to the "card no one will see"! I just wonder if I would think it was bad! Some of us just haven't "gotten" there yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I just want to say that I love your simple elegant style. How you came up with something so beautiful is beyond me. My eyes aren't there yet. I also agree with Vicki. Now that you've mentioned "that" card twice I'm dying to see it. I hope you reconsider showing us. I bet it's not as bad as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula's card design did not appeal to me, nor inspire me. I am glad to see your interpretation of her sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your take on the card that was published - Im glad that there has been one person out there inspired by something Ive done.But you truly have your own unique style!Thanks for the credit,much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!