Saturday, October 6, 2012

2 Neutrals + 1 Color = Soothing

Some of the hardest cards to make are either sympathy and thinking-of-you cards for serious occasions. The idea of two neutrals plus one color is perfect for creating that much-needed soothing feel to a card. Consider these two cards.




The card above is for a friend who definitely needs to find peace with a difficult situation. White, gray, and dark blue give a soothing feel, while the sketchiness of the flower acknowledges how crazy challenging finding that peace may be. (Or am I going too English major on the interpretation? I just never know.)





This sympathy card uses VersaColor Cement, which is a wonderful taupe-y gray and Paprika. The smallness of the sentiment and the single colored sprig don't matter given how the Paprika dominates without overwhelming. Soothing, understated, sincere.

On both cards the colors are strong, but by using so little of them, the message comes across clearly without being shouted.

Love that.

Supplies Peace Card
stamps: Peaceful Garden (Papertrey, sentiment), Flower (Hampton Art, very old!)
ink: Memento
accessories: rhinestones
Paper: PTI white

Supplies Sympathy Card
stamps: Peaceful Garden (Papertrey)
ink: VersaColor
paper: PTI white
accessories: dimensionals


18 comments:

  1. You always do such an awesome job! I love all of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these cards and No, you're not going too English Major on me. I get it and I like the references. Your work is outstandingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous cards - I love how you manage color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both cards but especially the "May peace ..." one. The sketchiness of the flower is just perfect for the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just super! Love the sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection, Susan! Keep the English Major "injections" coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of these cards....and I love that stamp set from PTI. I have it, but I've noticed that the l's on the word fill (in the first sentiment) are missing the top part of the "l" on my stamp...aggravates the stew out of me! I wonder if they'd replace it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, Susan. Your cards get more beautiful and inspiring every day! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So soothing! I think you've hit upon a wonderful formula. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cards Susan. Both are so soothing and yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect cards for a necessary occasion. I'll likely CASE both. I'm definitely Pinning them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flower, I would have to make that in many colors. The other is beautiful too; would love to see it in black and gray. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them both. The neutral is so peaceful. And the bright sentiment and small punch of color still say you (the recipient) are important, that's what they said to me. ;) Simply Lovely. That's why I get your posts in my mail box.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I CASE your 2nd card in this post? I just love the slight dimension and accent color. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!