Friday, October 5, 2012

Color Fun: Two Neutrals and a Color

Not sure what put this idea in my head (probably a card--or several--in a magazine), but I decided to experiment with using two neutrals (one of them the white card base) and a random color, just to see how the color would pop. I varied the colors on five or six cards, and found this to be a fun formula to experiment with!

And yes, I ended a sentence in a preposition because "...found this to be a fun formula with which to experiment" sounds snooty.

Anyway, you'll be seeing several such cards over the next few days, and here's the first color combo I experimented with: teal, gray, and white.




I love the softness of this, and the way the teal just pops right off the paper. The bling is just an added bonus!

Then I decided to vary the neutral with the teal, and try tan. This is the card that evolved. Not sure where it came from, but whatever muse was whispering in my ear doesn't visit me very often. It was fun to play along with her, but she's not as big a fan of white space as I am.




The tan warms things up, but there's no question which card I prefer. The first one is just more "me." The second one is more like my aunt, who owns a condo at the beach. That's why I am mailing it to her.

Isn't it cool that we can play and experiment and there's always someone to send the results to?

"...to whom to send the results?"

Whatever.

Have an awesome weekend.

Supplies Birthday Card
stamps: Hero Arts (text, butterfly), Papertrey (sentiment)
ink: VersaColor
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones

Supplies Shell Card
stamps: PSX (shells), Unknown (text)
ink: VersaColor
paper: PTI white
accessories: lace, dimensionals, half pearls

8 comments:

  1. Your artistry and sense of color and style are amazing. The first card is my favorite, but I like the second also. I read your blog virtually daily because there's always something to learn. It's funny that sometimes it just feels right to end a sentence with a preposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked out realy great. Simple and so chique! Hugs and have a nice weekend, Ankie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing cards, think the teal is my favourite too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of grey. The second card has a recipient, but you can send the first card to me in March. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of grey. The second card has a recipient, but you can send the first card to me in March. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only am I overwhelmed by your card making genius, your sense humour cracks me up too - PERFECT combination! Both cards are a beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neutrals with a pop of colour is (are?) fabulous. I particularly love the butterfly card. Very brave of you to end with prepositions - you'll be splitting your infinitives before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can usually spot a "Susan card" right off the bat. It's a good thing I'm not a gambler because I'd have lost on the 2nd one. I like the bright pop of color with the neutrals. As you know, I'm the weird one who isn't a butterfly fan, but do like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!