Sunday, October 7, 2012

Contrast in Formula

For our final look at the color formula 2 Neutrals + 1 Color, we're going to see part of what makes the difference between a peaceful card and a more dramatic one. It mainly has to do with color proportions and the heaviness/lightness of the images themselves.

First, the peaceful card. Like yesterday's cards, this card uses the single color very sparingly. The neutrals dominate. The only color is in the red berries, which were created with a red (obviously) Sakura Stardust pen. And the stamps are light, mainly lines of of lightish brown. 



By the way, I really like the movement in the above card. The stylized branches, two rounded corners, and curvy cursive of two words of the sentiment make this a visually interesting card while it still feels peaceful...and in harmony with the meaning of the sentiment.


Second, we see how much more drama comes when there's more color and the images are large, solid blocks. Even the sentiment is heavy and in scale with the images.




The olive green and tan keep this card from being, shall we say, perky. It's natural, with a subdued hint of tropical paradise. But that big, green butterfly with the big, green bling dominates the card in a very pleasing way.

If I had the inclination, I'd make this over in gray, white, and hot pink. THAT would really make it perky.

Supplies for Peace Card
stamps: Papertrey Signature Christmas, Memory Box bird in tree
ink: Brilliance
paper: PTI white
accessories: corner rounder, red Sakura Stardust pen

Supplies for Butterfly Card
stamps: A Muse (butterfly, leaves), Clear and Simple Stamps (sentiment, limited edition set)
ink: VersaColor
paper: PTI white
accessories: Corner rounder, dimensionals, rhinestones

8 comments:

  1. I think your creepin' crud must be moving across the country. I've been down and out for over a week and am just checking in with one of two of my favorite bloggers. Love this bird card. I'm tired of butterflies, but do like the composition of that card. I just like the first one better. I need to check out what else I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards - the first is my favorite. Thanks for another great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both great cards. Love how you explain things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, love your "explanations" - :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Christmassy one with the branches, so simple but effective, I really like the one layer look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Creations Susan as always made to perfection

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I love both cards. These are very involved for you. I love how you know all about the balance of the card. And that is why I get your posts in my email box. LOL I feel so cluttered and I need some simplicity. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Peace/Goodwill card. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!