Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Results of the A/B Poll and an OLW165 and UYS Christmas Card

This week's OLW is on Ardyth's blog and it's to make a holiday card without using red or green. As you'll see below, this is so very do-able! Click on over to Ardyth's blog to play along!

The results of the informal poll on THIS POST were interesting. I asked whether you preferred Card A or B, the only difference being the use of colored card stock for either the stamped circles or the mats under stamped circles.

Hands down, the majority of you liked Card A. Out of 50 comments, 34 of you said A, for a variety of reasons. Thirteen of you said you preferred B, and most of those said it was because they could read the sentiment stamped on white more clearly. Two of you said you couldn't decide.

I'm with the two. I was struck by how different the two cards are but baffled as to how to decide which one is "better." Each is good for its own reasons, and I suspect that what matters most is how important you consider the readability of the sentiment. I deliberately made it one word in a simple font so stamping it on colored card stock would be as readable as I could make it. For the majority of you, this seems to have worked! 

These sorts of design questions are so interesting, mainly because there isn't really a "right" answer. We're all right, I think.

Anywho, today's card results from Ardyth's One-Layer Wednesday Challenge this week AND my Use-Your-Stamps Challenge. This four-block shadow stamp from Hero Arts is among the first stamps I ever bought.



This card was hard to photograph/edit. The light snowflakes contrast a just a bit more on the card, so they have a bit more visual weight and look more balanced in real life.

Click over to Ardyth's challenge to see her lovely black-and-white-and-glitter card. She rocked that bottle of Stickles. My free-handing with Stickles NEVER looks as good as hers turned out!

For those of you doing the Use-Your-Stamps challenge, this time of year is excellent for using all those winter/holiday stamps. If you feel so compelled, you could challenge yourself to use each and every winter/holiday stamp you own this year.

Of course, if you're shooting for a Simplicity Christmas, you might not want to do such a thing.

In fact, forget I said anything.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (shadow), Papertrey Snowflake Serenade
ink: Memento, Versacolor
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: assorted rhinestones




5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the plugs for this week's challenge! And for playing along! I love that the top snowflake and the sentiment are overhanging. Lovely sparkle too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous design, everything is so perfectly placed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card in my favourite colour combination - I am so drawn to blue and white! I started out trying to use all my winter and Christmas stamps but it was getting too stressful - so I've given up. But I'm thinking it's a sign that I have too many.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the snowflakes. If I had to use every Holiday/Christmas stamp I own, I would be stamping throughout this year and next. I always tell myself "do not buy any this year". Sure that works. I see something so great or unique or I see a card made with some particular stamp and out I go to the store. I will never complete the challenge. However, I do enjoy the new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!