Sunday, November 23, 2014

Unifying a Quotation with Images

When I pulled out my birthday stamp box, I found A Muse's Birthday Wishes set. In it is a quotation from Lucille Ball about birthdays, so I wondered what I could do with that on the front of a card.

The challenge here is to unify this text-heavy quotation with some sort of appropriate image. The first card uses line and logic to connect the image/border with the words.


The spectrum ink pad adds wonderful interest and nice, rich color. The numbers lead up to the sentiment, and the overlap providesunity. The rounded corners on the bottom tie in with the number dots.

The overall effect was fine, but the second attempt works a bit better in my opinion. Because BLING!




On this card, it's the bling placement that unites...and bling is always good, right? For this card, I randomly chose number stamps in different fonts and sizes, and used shades of pink and purple to make a rather girly card for a quote from the quintessential funny lady!

The idea, though, is to connect the sentiment/quote with the images in some way. What tips do you have for achieving this kind of unity?



Supplies
stamps: 1st card Clearly Besotted, A Muse; 2nd card lots of different alphas, A Muse
ink: Kaleidacolor, and assorted Hero Arts and Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: corner rounder, bling

8 comments:

  1. I Hope you get a few replies to this or even do some more. I have some brilliant quotes Iwould love to use but on the front of the card like you have done but can never think how to put to use without overpowering the front of the card. Love the way you did both the cards you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope people reply, too! But I will certainly experiment with some ways to highlight quotation stamps in CAS ways, and if anything turns out, I'll share it!

      Delete
  2. These cards are great, Susan! I am totally in love with the one with numbers and bling, however!! That one really catches the eye! Keep 'em coming, honey! I love your style.
    Hugs,
    Sunshine Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about running the pink and purple numbers down the right side of the card, encompassing the quote? Leaves lotsa white space on the left. Fantastic quote"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unity? I'm supposed to THINK about these things? Don't look at my cards; they'll probably make you itch. ;/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Aileen, and Leslie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!