Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Feeling Punchy in White

There are times--not often but they do happen--when I experience die envy. Sticking to my simple principles and eschewing the whole Big-Shot-and-million-die money pit can leave me feeling deprived and wanting to punch something.

Paper, that is.

So today I pulled out a bunch of punches and played around. The results (being mostly white) are extremely hard for me to photograph, so I'm not sure how these pictures will look on your computer screen, but I hope you get the idea. In real life, it's so pretty!!!!

I started off with no sentiment and just three little light purple rhinestones, but it did look a bit plainer than I wanted.



So, I added a sentiment to the bowl, and the result looks much more grounded. Weird, huh?




It's okay if you prefer the plainer one, though. I still like it.




The close-up shot really conveys the depth and dimension on this card. It really is beautiful!

To make the bowl, I punched a big circle (the pink Marvy one) and cut it in half. Then, using the StampinUp word window punch, I cut two strips (3/8" high) for the foot and rim of the bowl and glued them on. Then, a strip of adhesive from a tape runner gave me a way to stick the ferns and branches to the back of the bowl. A layer of Scotch tape over the finished product added a bit more security to the fragile design.

Here's a shot of the back of the flower bowl before I covered it in SU dimensionals.




So if you're like me and don't have dies or an electronic cutting machine, pull out your punches and let loose. I feel MUCH better for having punched something, and that green envy monster is back where it belongs...which is to say, not in my craft room.

So there.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Gracious Vases sentiment
ink: VersaMagic concord grape
paper: papertrey white
accessories: assorted leaf and flower punches, circle punch, word window punch, tape runner, glue pen, rhinestones, dimensionals


10 comments:

  1. Though I do own a die cutting machine, punches are closer to my heart. They are heavy and space hogging (even in the locking flat style), but it's hard to find a more satisfying, instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very pretty! Need to pull my punches out of the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both versions of the card are very nice. It's nice that we can all take different paths (e.g., die cutting or punching) to get to our destination. I'm on the die cut road BTW. :)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE your CAS cards. I love how you explain why the design works & also why it doesn't.
    I wish I had your will power, tho. I've got ALL the tools, gadgets & gizmos. (I've been told I might need an intervention.) Sometimes I feel like I "need" to use them all to create, but you've taught me I really don't! Thank you.
    If you ever feel like you need a specific die cut, (manual or electronic) just let me know. I'm guessing I could send you what you need!
    Thank you for sharing your amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're so sweet to offer! Thank you! I'm good for now but will keep the offer in mind.

      Delete
  5. Love both cards! A quick tip: if you have your flowers and "greenery" laid out like you want them, pick them up all at once with "Press and Seal" from your pantry. Not my idea, although I wish I'd thought of it; Laurie Willison did this trick on one of the PTI MIM videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the white on white either way. This card makes me miss my punches. I downsized quite a number of them as I found I rarely used them anymore. I don't do a lot of die cuts either anymore. I guess I've moved on. For now, subject to change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, Susan! Thanks for the reminder to use my punches. Your little "thanks" coordinated with your bling really does ground it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the white on white and love the idea of combining punches to make something else—never thought of that! Don't have a machine and never will, as it makes me feel I'm getting far away from real creativity. But I involve my punches in making compositions whenever I can. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!